Thursday, March 17, 2011

Scuba Diving in Cozume Mexico - overview

This post and then next few lower down in this blog are of my scuba diving trip in March 2011 to Cozumel Mexico. It is a beautiful island with a large reef just off the coast of the Yucatan peninsula.  I got my open water PADI scuba certification this fall in Massachusetts and had been thinking about a trip to the south this spring after we arrived in Southern Pines NC for the spring.  During our first breakfast in Aspen Snowmass this winter I met a Mexican couple who had built a dive hotel in Cozumel.  It seemed that fate was directing me so I contacted the Blue Angel Resort and made a reservation.  It turned out that the couple I had met in Aspen lived across the street from the hotel they had built and once owned and I met them again.




If you wondered what happened to the Maya, they are alive and well in Cozumel. 

My hotel and dive service, Blue Angel Resort, overlooks the Villa Blanca dive site near the town of San Miguel.  Each dive site listed usually has two portions, one is a wall that goes into the deep blue at over 1,000 feet and the other is closer to the shore with a bottom at 60 - 40 ft.  The wall portion has deep canyons going up the face and swim thoughts or small caves open at both ends.  It is like flying through a beautiful garden.  I did over 20 dives during my two week stay.

No comments: