Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Exploring the Samburu preserve in Kenya

Today we had to get an early start. A lodge employee brought coffee and cookies to my tent door at 6:00 am. We then got up and went to the safari van for another trek. The usual animals were sited and part way through we ate our box breakfast provided by the lodge. This area is plains interspersed among mountains and is very beautiful. A river with crocodiles runs next to the lodge and can be seen from my tent.

After the animal run I went on a nature walk that was excellent. The same naturalist as talked last night in the bar was the leader. We were accompanied by an armed guard in case we were attacked by the local fauna. I was the only customer. We are never allowed out of the van on game drives but the three of us headed out of the bush. The walk included descriptions of local plants and animals and there use in tribal society. One bush is for making tooth brushes and Francis my guide made one for me. It worked rather well. The animals were more afraid of us on foot than in the van so it was difficult to get close to them. I approached a heard of giraffes, most of whom stared at me intently. As I approached I noticed that there was no one with me. This was a little concerning as earlier in the day we had great difficulty seeing lions in the bush because of the way their brown coat color blended in with the dead grass. One could be there and I would never have seen it. I went a little further and the giraffes took off so I head back. Francis said that they didn’t come with me because if there were three of us the giraffes would never have let us get so close. Hopefully the guard was at the ready in case I was attacked. This walk was one of the better parts of the trip.

Back at the hotel I had lunch and then a dip in the pool before starting to pack for the next part of the trip. Tomorrow we fly out of Samboro for the famous Massai Mara preserve. The plane has severs baggage restrictions so our driver Paul will have to drive my luggage to Nairobi for pick up by me on Thursday on my way from the local Wilson airport to Jomo Kenyatta international airport from my trip home. I will have to carry a set of clothes and other essentials in my back pack.

In the afternoon we had another game drive on the far side of the river but didn’t see much. We returned to another talk by Francis in the bar on the animals of Samboro before another elegant dinner and to bed.















No comments: