Sunday, March 14, 2010

Middle East trip update from Carl 3-14-10

Hi,
I have spent another day walking around Jerusalem waiting for the tour to start.  The other participants get in this afternoon with an orientation at 6:00 PM.  The weather is delightful with temperatures in the 70's under a hazy sun.  My hotel is on a ridge overlooking the walled old city of Jerusalem.  I walked around some of the local shopping areas in the morning which are upscale in new and clean in this region of the city.  The people in general are slim with only the ocasional fatty.  Perhaps it's is th Kosher food but I did see a McDonalds.  I wonder if they have cheezeburgers?  In the afternoon I walked down the slope and across the valley to the walled old city that contains the via delarosa, dome of the rock and wailing wall.  While walking along the city wall I encountered Zedekiah's cave which may have been begun by Solomon.  It is under the streets of the old town and is rather large having been found in 1854 when a bible scholar went chaising after his dog which had just disappeared.   I entered through the Damascus gate and wandered through the narrow streets and endless series of shops with very agressive shopkeepers. During this walk I avoided most of the important sites assuming that we would visit them in the next few days.  I exitied and followed the wall all the way around.  It was hilly and long so I was pretty beat by the time the hotel was in sight. 
 
Carl
 

No comments: